Old 02-04-2015, 09:20 AM
GretaHoney

Default Buying first machine-- Janome DC5100? Minimum throat size? other considerations?

Hi all,

I am a new sewer researching buying my first machine. I am trying to spend under $600, hoping to find a reliable machine that won't immediately outgrow my needs.

I have found two local dealers I like, one Juki and one Janome. I am interested in a machine that can piece, but also has the gumption to quilt, and one day hopefully FMQ. Decorative stitches don't really interest me at this point. What is the minimum throat size I should be looking at?

I have test "driven" a couple machines at both shops, but feel like I know so little about machines and machine sewing, that my gut feelings may be totally wrong.

I am drawn to the Janome DC5100, at the top of my price range, but comes with a 1/4in foot and a walking foot. I played with the Juki HZL-G210 Excite, which felt really solid and powerful, but pretty noisy, and more than I wanted to spend, plus no included feet.

Does anyone have either machine? Any other machines under $600 I should consider for quilting?