View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 AM
SueSew

I crushed my wobbly ironing board and never looked back. Out to the recycle bin!
I got a double layer of warm and natural batting with heavy weight but not canvas cotton fabric from Joann's on top, put it on a 24x60" laminate-topped table - the top is washable so if it gets gunky or ink-smears or whatever I throw it in the wash. I made it oversized and I just pin it in place under the table. (making an elastic band around the edge seems like too much work! LOL) If I have to do major cutting, I whisk it right off, fold up, and set up the big cutting mat. For smaller projects I use a Steady Betty and a smaller cutting mat right on top of the table or on top of the ironing pad, which ever is in place at the time. It's on sliders so I can push it against the wall or pull it out into the middle of the room and use all sides. I have three of those plastic on-wheels 3-drawer things from Bed-Bath-Beyond left over from kids college days and I use them for fabric. I hang my rulers off one end of the table on hooks. Sounds weird but it gives me a lot of flexibility with just one piece of furniture. The other piece of furniture is the desk I use for quilting.