Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 AM
LindaMRB

Thanks everyone for some good advice and comments!
I do not intend to wash it and will probably rotate squares (and separate some) to avoid putting similar ones beside each other…that will come later. I WAS able to make another square and then found some fabric behind furniture that I KNEW I had more of. So if I need to revise some or switch out one or two, I can do that. At 6x8 squares it may just cover the top on a queen sized bed with no overhang. We are hoping to get our guest room back this spring/summer and put a double bed in it. This quilt will be perfect and won't get used a lot. I also didn't really want to buy more fabric so there will be no sashing or borders. Still I have a lot of little bitty pieces left over - will have to think about how to use it somewhere. I will definitely embroider before layering, then, and maybe after the squares are joined so that I could embroider across the seams. We'll see.
Any idea where I can get wool batting? I have not checked any fabric stores around here yet. Any good brands or weight you might suggest?
I have lots of old buttons - I had totally forgotten about that as a way to tie the layers. AND I have lace that was made by my great grandmother, if it is not too wide. Been saving it for SOMETHING! My two girls are not very girly so they have never been interested in it.
I like using muslin for the backer and yes I had also forgotten that silk would be cold AND slippery!
I'll be sure to post this after the embroidery gets going.
FYI, I think the remaining large piece will do for binding - the floral with the bronze background - I think I have well over a yard at 60 inches. Gosh I was lucky!