View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Sewnoma

My DH probably wishes I was more like you, but I'm pretty much the opposite. I'm a total cutterbug and I feel very comfortable in my mess!

I blame my upbringing. Mom has (I believe) undiagnosed OCD and so I have leftover anxiety whenever I'm someplace that's really clean and organized - I subconsciously expect someone to swoop in and start screaming at me and slapping my hands if I dare move anything.

SO...my sewing room is my messy happy place. It's busy and cluttery and yet at the same time it's actually very clean and organized - I keep up on the lint-bunnies and the pet fur that sneaks in past the baby gate, I don't eat or drink in there, I wipe down my machines and my cutting mat regularly, I have bins for all my scraps... But "stuff" is welcome to hang out in the open with me, I have my piles of paperwork and fabrics and work-in-progress always left out, and I know exactly where everything is in there. To me, my clutter tells me this is a place that's "safe" for me to be creative and it stops the back of my mind from expecting someone to come and be angry at me for creating all these snippets and loose threads.