View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 01:08 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by LindaMRB View Post
I have a friend who just throws them in the yard and the birds help themselves. When you clean the birdhouse out each fall you can see what they chose…
I saw a bird try to pick up a wad of dog hair I had thrown in the yard one day. It was a nuthatch and he pulled and pulled and finally gave up - it was too wet and matted…
I like the mulching and tying ideas, too! I had forgotten about using old fabric for holding tomato vines up to the stakes...
I was told NOT to put cotton scraps out for the birds. The cotton gets wet in the rain, and can kill the eggs or babies by not drying fast enough. I spaghetti slice then chop fleece scraps and throw them out for the birds, and now when I toss them, the birds are right there to scoop them up every spring. They are warm and insulating for them and dry quickly.

Just had a funny thought- with all we have been hearing about drones spying on us, can you just imagine a drone flying over my neighborhood, and seeing all those brightly colored birds nests in my neighborhood? The headline would read "Military Drone identifies new variety of nest building Bird!"

Last edited by madamekelly; 02-07-2015 at 01:13 PM.