View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Hikeaddict

Default Help finishing a quilt left to me

Hi Group! I am a new member and just recently started reading. I have been wanting to start quilting for some time now, but have been busy in school and not had the time. I am on the downhill slide of school and hopefully should have much more time from now on for crafty pursuits! I'm a soon to be resident physician in family medicine and will be moving soon once I find out where I will complete my training. Nice to meet ya'll!

Anyway on to my question. My sister in law gave me a bag a few Christmas's ago and said "my grandma was working on this quilt and I thought maybe you could finish it!" (I sew, so I guess she thought I could quilt as well). I took it in hopes I could someday do just that. Her grandmother recently passed and I was thinking I should really finish this for her. I opened it all the way up today and was a bit confused by what I found- of course I was...I don't quilt..yet! I know I will probably have to find an experienced quilter to really help me finish, but I did have one question. Some of the pieces have what appear to be dashed lines that look to be printed on the fabric. I know they aren't part of the printed "design" as such because they look out of place and block a rectangular piece into triangles of different colors. I may be a noob, but my understanding was that you cut pieces and stitch them but these dashed lines are in a quilt top that has already been assembled. So..what are these lines?! I'm attaching a photo that will hopefully illustrate what I mean. Also attaching a pic of the whole thing, just for fun. Any thoughts would be so greatly appreciated.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509361[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509362[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509364[/ATTACH]
~Courtney
Attached Thumbnails 20150208_165959.jpg   quilt-top.png   underside.jpg  

Last edited by Hikeaddict; 02-08-2015 at 03:33 PM.