Thread: Border-phobia
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 01:45 AM
ocydroma

Default Border-phobia

I am an inexperienced quilter. I joined a local guild not only to learn more but to also meet people. I became friends with a member that has been quilting for 20+ years. She offered to teach me more about quilting. I told her I would be more than happy to pay her for her time, but she refused. She said she enjoyed helping newbies out. I have learned a lot from her. Right now I have 6 quilt tops in various stages of progress. My big problem with 5 of the tops is it's time to add the borders. I love how double borders look and feel that would add so much to the look of the tops I have done. I am a perfectionist. Even though someone else might never find the boo boo I made, I can basically find it in the dark. So I also want the borders as pleasing to my eye as possible. When I got to the point of adding borders, my friend told me that if not done as close to perfect as possible, the entire quilt will basically be a moot point. So now I have developed a phobia of adding borders!! Does this sound crazy? Of course it does!!! I read this board and any magazine or book I can get my hands on and understand the way to construct them but I'm so worried that I will add the borders and ruin all the time, money and hard work I have put into the tops. Yes I know I can unsew them but I will literally sew, unsew, sew, unsew. I have seen some people on this board talk about putting the two borders together prior to adding them to the quilt. I mentioned it to my friend and she sort of went a bit crazy about how you must never do that, I will be asking for trouble. She can tend to be a quilt nazi lol.

Sorry for babbling. I'll get to the point. What's the general opinion of sewing two borders together prior to adding them to the quilt top. What are the pros and cons? And how do I get over my phobia of feeling I'm going to ruin my top if I make a mistake putting the borders on. I know part of learning is just doing it, but I really need some tips to get me to the point of even being brave enough to cut the borders. I am not doing mitered borders because my friend told me I wasn't ready to tackle that and there's a higher chance of making mistakes.

Sorry this is so long. Thank you for reading it all the way through!!