Thread: Border-phobia
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 05:49 AM
Barb in Louisiana

You have gotten some great advice here. I wanted to chime in with my two cents worth.

I have 2 Brother machines. A higher end, combo sewing/embroidery machine which usually sews like a dream. It weighs about 35 pounds, so I don't really like lugging it to classes and sew-ins, so I have my little Brother, purchased from WM for about $150 that only weighs about 17 pounds. It goes to all classes with me. It doesn't sew quite as good as the Big Brother but I have not had anyone make fun of my baby Brother. Sewing machines are like cars....we all have different preferences. I wouldn't upgrade until you feel the need for something different or yours goes to the great sewing machine heaven.

Now, on to the borders. A wise quilter once told me one time that a quilt that is finished is worth much more than a quilt half done. I square up all the parts/blocks or rows as I go. When I get to adding the borders, all I have to do is make sure the borders are cut and sewn fairly straight. I have the problem of getting to the borders and not knowing what to do. I finally figured out that laying the quilt out with my choices of borders tucked under the outside edge in the widths I am thinking of and taking a picture with my camera gives me the best perspective on what the finished product will look like. And, yes, It does take me several pictures sometimes. Once I make up my mind, I go with it. Remember....that finished quilt is much better and more satisfying than sitting there agonizing over what to do.

On some of my earlier quilts, I did the borders too narrow. I look at them now and think "I wish that last border was bigger." Am I going to do anything about it? No. It's finished. Learn from the experience and move on. Thanks to my wise friends advice, I am now able to finish quilts and I really need to. I have ended up with almost 40 UFO's to finish in 2015. The good news is I have completed 4 already this year. Three were bindings only. One had borders to be added and had to be quilted. The feeling of getting them completed has spurred me on. I'm off to do another binding today for one I quilted several days ago.

Bottom line....as Larry the Cable Guy says.....Just Git 'er Done!

Edited to add: This board loves giving advice on borders. Start a new thread and show us what you are thinking about for the borders. We might can help with your process. My MIL never did quilts but did a lot of clothing sewing....he famous motto was "As you sew, so shall you rip." My ripper is my best friend and helps me get those little areas where my seam went astray back into the straight category. And if that quilt is 1/2" longer on one side than the other, no one really cares. After washing, sometimes, it adjusts itself and sometimes not...but it's okay. I enjoy every quilt I make and so do the people I give them to.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-11-2015 at 05:56 AM.