Thread: Border-phobia
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 06:58 AM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

I am right now trying to help a newbie and it is difficult sometimes to back off. From this board, I have learned that there is more than one way to make a quilt. First of all, stick with the machine if it works for you. I started quilting on a Singer but then upgrade to a Bernina in the early 90s and I am STILL using THAT machine. I don't need all the bells and whistles that others may need.

I am a perfectionist just like you. I normally take my time deciding what fabrics to use in my borders. It is like framing a picture. I audition them up on a design wall and until I am delighted with the selection, I keep changing the fabric. The most important rule of thumb is to measure. Always measure twice and then cut once. That is a very old carpenter's saying. There are some who say average everything and if that works for you, that is great. I measure the exact length of a side and that is the amount of fabric I carefully pin from the edge and then the center. It should match up perfectly if you measured correctly. You just want to add the same length to each side of the quilt. Remember you are in the process of learning. The Amish have a tendency to make a mistake in their quilts they make since they believe that God is the only one who can make things perfect. So don't worry or fret about the mistakes you are bound to make. We have ALL made mistakes on a quilt or two or maybe more. Remember this is a hobby and should be FUN!!

Being disable now, I find that eliminating the border works better for me. Many busy patterns really don't need a border unless you need it for size. Good Luck and hope that you are able to post some photos soon.