Thread: Border-phobia
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Peckish

Originally Posted by ocydroma View Post
I am a perfectionist.
Nothing wrong with that; I am too. You will make beautiful quilts and impress everyone with your skills!

When I got to the point of adding borders, my friend told me that if not done as close to perfect as possible, the entire quilt will basically be a moot point. I am not doing mitered borders because my friend told me I wasn't ready to tackle that and there's a higher chance of making mistakes.
You know what I think? I think she's not ready to help you with mitered borders and doesn't want to admit it.

She says that I need to upgrade my machine because it's a brother. I'm not going out and buying something else. I have just come to the conclusion she's a very controlling person.
Atta girl. I own 7 machines of varying brands and ages, and by far my favorite is my Brother. "Because it's a Brother" is the dumbest reason I've ever heard for getting a new machine. If you drive a 15 year old pickup, would she make you upgrade to a brand new Mercedes? Who cares what you drive, as long as you can get to the local quilt shop?

I guess she really has me questioning my abilities.
This is NOT what a teacher or mentor should be fostering in a pupil. Time to move on.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Stop it!!
Fire that "mentor" aka obsessive, manipulative, quilt police!! No wonder she offered so enthusiastically to "teach" you without pay...an opportunity for her own agenda easily instilled without questions.
My word, how DO we let these people loose on the unsuspecting quilting newbies?!! They should be required to wear signs around their necks.
WHAT JAN SAID.

Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
And out of sheer damned cussedness on my part I'd make those borders with mitred corners
Me too!!