Thread: Border-phobia
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 09:12 PM
hray

I'm another one who:

Hates machine snobs. There are certain brands/dealers that seem to be worse than others--I avoid them, I avoid stores that sell those brands. I may miss out on some classes they offer, fancy notions they offer...but it's not worth dealing with machine bullies.

Doesn't even measure when I make borders; I just cut strips at the right width, and make sure they're long enough by holding them up along the sides. If not, I sew some together. After sewing them on, I even up the end of the border with the rest of the quilt top. Then I sew on the top and bottom borders the same way. Never done mitered borders, but I do miter binding corners. Why? I like mitered bindings. Never thought about borders...will have to try that.

Has really taken the "if you can't see it while riding by on a galloping horse, it doesn't count" approach to boo-boos. Our LQS lady recently taught me recently that if you think you need to re-do a place where seams don't meet, just undo a couple of inches and pull them a bit closer. That usually helps enough, and is a lot better than picking out a whole seam and often, having it worse the second time!!

Consider my mistakes "creativity" especially in FMQ. LOL

Enjoy your quilting!!! No one NEEDS to cut apart perfectly good and often expensive fabric to sew back together to make quilts. WE DO IT FOR FUN. Remember that--the "mentor" seems to have forgotten.

Best wishes,
Hallie in NM