Thread: Border-phobia
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by ocydroma View Post
My mentor does have hard core thoughts/opinions. Don't use poly batting. Don't let the longarmer use poly thread. That I need to upgrade my sewing machine which is only a year old and I am very comfortable with.

Sheilz- thinking about you said, I feel you are right. She is probably hindering more than helping. I really appreciate you being honest with your opinion of my mentor. Sometimes I just needed someone to confirm what I've been thinking I guess.
She's been a great help to you but now may be the time to become your own quiltmaker. She obviously has strong opinions, some of which match yours, many which don't, and you should feel free, now that you've learned the basics, to do your own thing. Your sewing machine, for instance: if you're happy with it and it works for you, let that subject be closed. After all, opinions are just that; there are no "laws" in what we're doing here.

As for borders, other here have given you great advice on one-border-at-a-time, and borders with mitered corners. I can only add: measure correctly, and just sew that first border on!

I think I was glad of my ignorance when I first began making quilts because, self-taught, I had no idea what I might be doing wrong and consequently, had no fear. I was a long time garment sewer but had never made a quilt. I didn't know what I didn't know, so I watched a few youtube videos, read a book or two, and just plunged ahead. Your issue is that you've aligned yourself with an expert and as helpful as she's been, her knowledge and experience -- and opinions! -- have intimidated you.

Last edited by Friday1961; 02-12-2015 at 10:28 AM.