View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 10:24 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
There are going to be internal differences between the 15-91 and the 15s without potted motors due to the motor gear needing another gear inside the machine. I'm not sure of how easy it will be to swap parts back and forth.
I would say if you have a spoked handwheel on your machine already to keep it there. They're nicer to turn by hand than the smaller electric machine ones. I find myself using the handwheel a lot for fine detail type work.
Rodney
Rodney, others:
There is no internal difference between a 15-91 and a 15- otherwise. All the gears and needed parts for the potted motor are in the motor housing and hand wheel.

You can pull the hand wheel and motor housing off and replace it with a regular hang on motor, belt guard / bobbin winder, hand wheel and sew up a purple storm.

There is two screws that mount the motor housing to the head with the appropriate holes. For the external motor machine there is two different holes already drilled and tapped for the belt guard / bobbin winder. At least there is on mine. All you need to do is change out the parts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]510186[/ATTACH]
The two sets of screw holes are visible in Stitchnripper's photo of her poor busted machine.
Been there, done that.

Refurbished 15-91:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]510169[/ATTACH]

15-91 with external motor, belt guard / bobbin winder, hand wheel mounted as a test, donor machine to the rear:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]510175[/ATTACH]
Front view

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510177[/ATTACH]
Rear View

The experiment worked great. The 15-91 with the borrowed motor and parts sewed beautifully.

To convert to a treadle all that would be needed is to remove the potted motor and wiring, then instal a belt guard / bobbin winder and a spoked hand wheel.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails 49-singer-15-91.jpg   15-franken-clone-f.jpg   15-franken-clone-r.jpg   front-15-91.jpg  

Last edited by J Miller; 02-14-2015 at 10:37 AM.