View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 11:36 AM
carol45

Default Quilt appraisals

A quilt appraiser came to our guild meeting and talked about appraisals of antique, vintage and contemporary quilts. She said that for new quilts the appraisal is a calculation of how much it would cost if you had to hire someone to reproduce the exact same quilt (which can't be done, but it's an appraisal for insurance purposes, if the quilt should be lost in the mail or in a fire, something like that). Anyway, she mentioned that people have a quilt appraised, so if they're giving it for a wedding present, they can include the appraisal so that the couple knows just how much this quilt is worth. I am presently finishing a wedding quilt which I will give to a nephew and his new bride in April. I'm now thinking of including the appraisal with the quilt. I'm sure the price that will be quoted will be by far the highest of the cost of any wedding gift they get. And many times nonquilters have absolutely no idea how much goes into a quilt. Have any of you done such a thing? What do you think of this idea? The appraisal would cost $50.