View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Bicycle Hobo

Thank you all for contributing to this particular topic of supreme interest (IMHO) to us all, no matter where you are in life. I was off for a couple of months not only wondering where the Quilting (and general Sewing) world is headed to, but completing my dream quilt's first sample. Both seem to be successful in their own ways.

The future-and present-of quilting will continue to make itself known in a number of important ways.

• One way it will stay is firmly remaining in the home (a form of cottage industry of sorts) as the death spiral of industrial sewing of high speed fashion cycles and yes even quilt making from the lesser developing nations for mass purchasing and consuming all their sewing products currently mega dumping on the developed nation's shipping ports. In this important way you the reader and supporter of this and similar publications will rise above all this mishmash of fiber pap currently being sold most everywhere it seems.
  • Plus less dependence from being too far swayed by the latest gimmicky notions or tools that may or may not be helpful in creating your own dream projects.

Now I will unveil my own dream quilt first step in the form of a sample (about 40 inches square) and give all of you a glimpse of what is the future of quilting-simply being what you make of it. I present my first Ragged Radiant Lone Star Quilt (photographed in a local mattress store on a queen size bed for better lighting than found in my own home). I freely admit that I still have some bugs to work out in the design, but I feel confident enough to go ahead and make a twin size quilt using this same pattern and techniques:
Attached Thumbnails ragged-radiating-star-full-view-500-pixels.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 02-14-2015 at 12:28 PM.