View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 AM
NoraB

Hi everyone, PeginCo asked about the big board my husband made for me. There are so many tutorials on-line and many different suggestions. Mine is 24"X54.5"...my ironing board is that long and I really just don't have room for longer. But, I'm loving the 24" width. He used 3/4" plywood(exterior grade)and cut it to that size. Then, he painted both sides (had the paint) and covered it with aluminum foil, 2 layers of 100% cotton batting (I purchased at JoAnn Fabric with a coupon--do not use polyester, it will melt) and I used the silver ironing board fabric. Stapled all down. There is tons of good information on this board (search for big ironing board). He found some type of "twisting latch" thing that I can twist and screw to the ironing board so it won't slip off. I love it, but it is heavy and I probably could have made it 24"X48"...that would accommodate width of fabric...but I like lots of room everywhere! Any flat surface in my house is immediately consumed! Everyone have a great day sewing!