Thread: Help requested
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Kim B

Smile Help requested

Hello Quilt Board Members,
My name is Kim and I have started my third quilt. I need help! The first two did not have sashing or borders so this is a new learning experience. This full size quilt will be for my grandson's new big boy bed. It is composed of blocks that are made up of two small squares with a strip of material between them, which is then attached to a rectangle with another strip of material between them (all cut from crossgrain strips). Each finished block is 9 3/4" X9 3/4" (10 1/4 X 10 1/4 unfinished). There are 8 rows of 7 blocks (horizontally), currently joined with sashing ( cut crossgrain). I guess I should have done a little more reading prior to cutting the material for the sashing, but I guess this is where the learning curve kicks in. I have already cut the sashing (again crossgrain) that will horizontally join the rows, but I do have enough material that I could cut new sashing (with the grain this time) that would join the rows horizontally. If you are not already confused, my question is #1, do I take out 96 seams between the blocks and replace it with sashing that has been cut with the grain? Everything is in proportion ( I squared my blocks) the strips within the blocks and the strips between the blocks) or do I just cut the sashing that will go between the rows horizontally with the grain, run and gun, cut my losses and pray? I can use the presently cut strips for crossgrain binding. Oh, by the way; I have no pattern for this quilt. I saw a quilt on Pinterest and decided to duplicate it. If anyone has any suggestions to share based on experience and knowledge, I'd definately be interested. Don't be shy. I have a lot to learn and I'm not easily offended, lol. Thanks for your anticipated assistance!