View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 AM
BettyGee

Default An Artist's Rights

Kudos to the article on copyright law. As Patrice said, "...it's not as bad as it seems." Having worked as a paralegal I know how very important wording can be, believe me when you are working on the 27th re-write of a brief you understand.

Just my opinion, but I am in favor of respecting the rights of the artist that created the pattern. He/she designed the pattern, no doubt based on centuries of previous designs; however, it was their creativity that led to the publication of the pattern I purchased. It is then my right to make that quilt and give it to a friend or family member. I could tell them that it was just an idea I came up with, which is an outright lie. If I make the quilt and then attempt to sell it with the same explanation I am infringing on the rights of the designer of the pattern, same as lying to my friend or family member.

There are so many sources for patterns available to us, so many are free while others are available at reasonable prices. I will not copy a pattern I purchased to give to anyone who asks. The pattern is out there for purchase or download.

If you make a quilt and give it to a friend and then he/she gives it to a friend and claims that he/she made it would that hurt you? I have my favorites, as do we all; I've spent way more than I should on patterns and I love each and every one of them. Why do I spend money on a particular designer's patterns? They are gifted in an area in which I am not and I respect that gift.

It is an old saying, but "Do the right thing."