View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 12:33 PM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Copyright discussions come up periodically here on the board.....the article Patrice posted was interesting, confusing and made my brain hurt......the implications were broad......I am still and will probably always be confused.......if I buy a quilt mag, like a pattern well enough to make it...even to buying the identical fabs, make it and decide to enter in our little county fair....wins first place ribbon.....I get a check for a big $10.00---- so I should share that $$$ with designer..who gets the ribbon or is it shared custody? Or should I make them and hide them under a bed......
You received the ribbon for the entirety of the work, not the design. Personally I don't understand people who copy stuff verbatim out of the book. You've made yourself into a robot. Not even my first quilt (see feet) yellow brick road was made verbatim from the pattern. Perhaps I am just bored too quickly. As a world famous block designer (well, one block) I don't care if you make a zillion dollars off it, just give Tim's Compass Star it's due. Funny story there... I ran across a guild on the net a couple years ago that used that design for it's block competition. Properly attributed to my internet pen name "k_jupiter". Pretty funny. tim in san jose