Old 02-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Kwiltr

Default "Gourmet batting". Hobbs 80/20 +1/2 layer of wool batting

Cindy Needham mentions in her Craftsy class that she has often combined a layer of cotton and a half layer of wool in her quilts and I've heard longarmers also do this often. I was thinking of doing this on my current quilt project. I am not a longarm quilter but use a Sitdown sweet 16. I am also a spray baster. So I have a couple of questions for anyone with experience doing this. 1) my quilt is 95 x 109. Is this going to be an impossible size with a batting of 1 1/2 thickness to wrestle? I've done one this size, a little bigger actually with one W&N batt and it was fine, but challenging at times. 2). If I were to do this, as I am a spray baster, I'm assuming I would have to spray between the batting layers as well to stop shifting. Correct? 3) I have Hobbs 80/20 and a Quilters Dream wool batt. Do I have to worry about different rates of shrinkage between them, or is it even an issue?

My reasons for trying this combination are: additional warmth in the quilt (live in Canada ;-)), more quilting definition in the end product, and the drape and memory of wool batting.

any insight on this subject would be appreciated.
thanks,Kathy