Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 PM
JeanieG

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Hey, OK, I'm retired so no nurse questions LOL!! Just kidding. First off, yes hypothyroidism is hereditary so all your family members should be tested. I've been on Synthroid for about 30 yrs, started on Armour. My numbers bounced around a lot, didn't feel well (hyper at times, sluggish at other times) on Armour. Everyone has a different tolerance. If your numbers are good and you're feeling alright, I wouldn't change things but I'd talk to your doc to see if he/she thinks you'd be a good candidate for the Armour. They usually run a T3, T4, & TSH to determine the dose so you probably have these done yearly. For the longest time, Armour was impossible to get around here; I don't know if that's changed or not. Funny thing I learned: always thought if you took too high a dose of Synthroid you'd lose weight; opposite happens, you gain weight in the form of fat deposits. Why? don't know, just something my doc told me. Now, can I go back into retirement???? Question for you: do you have trouble when it's really hot outside? I cannot tolerate high heat & humidity. I get very flushed, dizzy, nausea--I blame it on my thyroid but don't know if anyone else has this problem. I also can't stand warm/hot rooms; MrJanRN and I play battle of the thermostat--he's always cold. And no it's not menopause, that's a distant memory.
I do NOT have a Thyroid problem, but I have the same problem with high heat. I really feel yucky. I cannot play golf if it is in the high 80's or 90's. I just don't do well in heat! I have the same with warm/hot rooms, and I had a hysterectomy at age 27. I was on Premarin for years and years! My Dr. weaned me off of it in my mid 60's. It seems like I am always a little too warm!