View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 AM
BettyGee

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
personally, i take the lazy way out.

i won't make a quilt to sell that i made using somebody else's pattern.
i won't enter a quilt into a competition that i made using somebody else's pattern.
the same goes for anybody else's quilt i saw that is [or at least seems to be] truly unique and original.

if i ever have enough confidence in the quality of my work to enter something in a show, i will check the rules carefully. if something is unclear to me, i will contact the show coordinators for clarification. if i don't like the rules i won't enter the show.

i won't buy any book or pattern that is sealed in such a way that i can't first read the copyright notice and attempt at restrictions. whether or not i agree with what's written, if i don't like what i see i won't buy it.

i will not wrap myself around an axle worrying about whether or not i like the law.
i will do my best to obey the law as i understand it.
i will continue to look for and read reliable articles from competent sources until i am sure i understand all the finer points of copyright law as it applies to quilting and my country. (laws are not the same the world 'round.)
You've got it! Thanks for being there for us. I don't always agree with you, but without your guidance we'd be floundering on many points.