View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 AM
aeble

Default New Sewing Room Planning

My family and I are moving into a house in a new town in a little over a month. My office is also going to be my sewing room, a meeting space for my work, and a guest bedroom. I've heard a lot of nay-sayers about this being possible, but I think I've finally found a solution.

I am going to build a modified version of this:
http://matroshkafurniture.com/home/galleri_film.html
I want to create a space to have my sewing machine dropped down into the desk and be able for it to lift down out of the way. I'll wall mount my computer monitor that I connect to my laptop as a second screen to improve efficentcy. And I plan on adding a drop down piece that can be folded up to be level with the desk area to allow me to more easily quilt larger items.

On the side of the room I'll put a drop down table mounted to the wall with my large cutting mat attached to it. I'll make a large ironing pad like the one I see used on Missori Quilt Company youtube videos with a cute fabric back that can be hung to disguise the cutting board when down.

I plan on putting my AccuQuilt Studio in the large closet with storage for my collection of dies and my fabric there. Although, I may put up some pretty white shelves with some of my folded fat quarters there if it won't make it too "sewing room like when I'm having meetings at home.

The wall that has the door into the room will have a large piece of flannel hung for my design wall that can be pull up and hidden by a shelf when not in use (roman blind style).

The one thing I'm stuck on though, is I'm not certain how to set up my sewing machine on some sort of a lift system. I know it can be done, but does anyone know where you can just buy the parts? So far I've only been able to find finished cabinets, but that's not going to work for my space. I really need to be able to tuck the sewing machine away when I'm doing my paid work. A) I need the space. B) I need the chance of distraction to be minimized. (I'd rather be sewing all day then finishing up a business' year-end.)

And if anyone tells you that you can't turn a 8.5' x 12' room into an office, meeting room, sewing room, spare bedroom. Tell them you know it's being done!