View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 12:58 PM
charlottequilts

Default Need advice on fabric flaws

Hi, everyone - I could use some sage advice from the folks here who are knowledgeable about fabric manufacture. I am totally disillusioned with Moda. I know everyone seems to be fond of them, but I am not as of this minute.

Here's what happened: a few months ago, I bought a huge length of Printemps for a backing, from KQ. I checked the length at home to make sure they measured correctly but otherwise didn't interact with it until today. Wow. After washing, I put it over the ironing board and discovered a big black ink mark in the center. Now, I can work around that, BUT I don't know what to do about the "woven-in" flaws and slubs. They are spaced very awkwardly.

The fabric is offwhite with tiny red flowers. There is a lot of the offwhite. Woven in, at various points, are aqua threads! (not a design element, either). I can likely pull them with fine pins, but wouldn't it damage the integrity of the fabric? There are about 8 of them so far, as long as 1". How does this happen?

I usually cut around slubs but would have to leave them in, here. What causes a slub? Isn't it a weak point in the fabric?

Even if I had the receipt, which I likely don't, KQ only lists how many yards at which price. There would be no way to prove that it's the Printemps. And it was retail price, no doubt, and then some.

Grateful for any suggestions,
Charlotte