View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

I know the lift mechanisms can be purchased here in Canada ... even somewhat locally to you, but right now I can't think of where/whom.

Perhaps call a few places and ask? Some might be very helpful.

Start with Hobby Horse as they also run a wholesale business.
Another that can be very helpful is the Brampton Sewing Centre (might have that business name wrong) on Rutherford Road.

A few comments about the lifts ... When I bought my cabinet, I opted to not go with a lift, as I expected I would never use it. Not the need that you have. At the time, I learned there are really good ones ... and mediocre ones. Also, be sure you get the heavier ones (for heavy weight machines), to be sure your machine is safe and that the lift will continue to work. Some of the brands just don't last unfortunately. (reasons too why I did not get a lift). Plus you will need to make sure your desk/cabinet that you are putting into is reinforced enough to allow for the hole required, and the lift to work.

It sounds like you have everything well thought out.
If you want another idea ... I have seen and have always thought that a great hide-away sewing area was one built into a closet, and then when you want it to not vanish ... just close the closet doors.

Re the Murphy Bed suggestion, some put their design wall on the underside of the bed, being that it will be flipped up most of the time.

Of course, you have me curious ... where are you moving to?
Maybe you will be closer to me!