Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 AM
mlmack

Originally Posted by soman2 View Post
What a shame! Last week I received a Dressmaker which is identical to one that I have in my collection. I ordered it on e-bay and received it 4 days later and was well boxed. No visible damage on the exterior, but when it was unpacked, the portable carry case was broken into 20 pieces and the motor mount was partially ripped from the motor. I have not had much success with FedEx as the carrier. The machine was bubble wrapped and placed in a box and that box was placed in a larger box filled with peanuts. There were 6 red labels placed on the box stating "FRGILE-THIS SIDE UP" and the careless employees of FedEx still managed to destroy the merchandise. I notified the seller with pictures and received an immediate refund and was told to keep the machine in hopes that it could be repaired and just toss the broken case. My guess is that FedEx dropped the package from a height of about 3-4 feet flat on it's bottom and the 30+ lb. machine went through the plastic carrycase like melted butter. The machine has been repaired and up and running. Remember the video on TV recently showing both major carriers throwing package over the fence-one being a flat screen TV. Go figure!

Soman2

The other Rodney
If there was no visible damage on the outside of the box, I'd say that the inside packaging was insufficient. I generally pack machines and cases separately. Packaging should be sufficient to handle a 3-4 foot drop.

Most package handling is automated, and with the huge volume of packages being processed, "Fragile" stickers are basically worthless.