View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Kwiltr

Default Two Layers of Batting

Okay, so I'm back with a follow up question to my previous thread asking about a layer of cotton and layer of wool together in a 97x109 quilt. I could not separate the wool batt into two thin layers, so it a looked "not so thick" so added the whole thickness with a layer of Hobbs 80/20 Cottn/Poly batting. Wool on top against the Quilt Top. Sandwiched it all with 505 spray, ironed it to set as per usual and seems a fairly stable sandwich. However, have begun ditching and finding I am getting a small pucker at the end of the border stretch when I meet up at the intersection of another ditched seam. The wool layer wiggles enough within itself I think to cause enough shifting while ditching with my walking foot. While I am able to mitigate it somewhat, I find it stretches the corners of the quilt enough to distort them, trying to work out that tiny extra bit at the end of the row. The back of the quilt looks great, no folds or puckers, but it is against the Hobbs 80/20 layer.

So now I'm thinking rather than persevere and struggle with the entire quilt in this way only to not be happy with the outcome, and afraid it will get worse as I continue, am thinking of ripping out the ditching I've done and remove the Wool batt and replace it with a second Cotton Batting. I'm looking for the warmth and the quilting definition two layers would provide. Does anyone have experience with this combination, completing it on a DSM or Sitdown machine? I ditch my long straight seams on my Janome 6600 before I take my quilts to my Sweet Sixteen Sitdown machine to complete the quilting.

Thank you in advance for any advice or insight!