Thread: Quilting group
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM
NoraB

I agree with the folks on this thread. Give your friends a supply list of what they need to purchase in order to get into quilting and they might run in the opposite direction. When I worked, I had numerous friends say they "wanted to learn how to quilt"......I spent one Saturday afternoon at work printing off instructions from various sites, collating them into the 5 sets for my friends, provided them the supply list and even told them where there were sales for fabric. Guess how many actually followed thru...........0! Then, I guess as the years went on, I continued to make baby quilts for their babies (boy they were a fertile bunch of women) and they again said "I want to learn how to quilt".......This time, I gave them a few web sites via e-mail and told them to check those out and let me know when they have all their supplies. Again.......0! So, my last attempt included 2 sisters who "wanted to learn how to quilt"...they had sewing machines and we actually went to the store and purchased their supplies.....This was going to work! They came to my house to learn the basics and then we all decided to take a class at our local quilt store. I knew I was in trouble when one of them showed up with the sewing machine in the original box and it was UNOPENED! Needless to say, I spent my class time working with her to read the users manual on how to thread the machine, how to load the bobbin, etc. Since then, they've moved to other companies and I've lost touch with them. I seriously suspect that they have NOT continued and are NOT interested! I've send numerous e-mails over the past 2 years and there has been no reply! I'd LOVE to see if they need help (I will help them) OR if they want to sell me all the wonderful kits and supplies they purchased. They went top of the line....ginger rotary cutter, rolling cabinet with wheels, etc.). Oh well, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink". Good luck with your ladies.....it is so enchanting to share your love of quilting with others (as long as they "get it"). Nora