Thread: Quilting group
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 AM
Maureen NJ

My mother and aunts and friends would get together and hand quilt a whole clothe quilt. It wasn't an outstanding design and the quilting was more like big stitch quilting but they enjoyed getting together.

I am now in a wonderful quilting ministry through my church. It is a group of about 20 women and we meet once to twice a month, averaging about 10-12 coming each time. We make about 15 quilts a year, which are given to sick of the parish or those in need outside of the parish. We make the quilt tops and two of the girls have long arms and quilt them. The leader chooses easy piecing patterns (that look intricate) and one person does all the cutting at the meeting. Everybody does something different. Some people pin, some machine piece, some iron, some rip, some hand sew bindings on. There are various levels of sewers/ quilters. Some have no experience (but are learning) and are the ironiers or lay out the blocks and others just sew. It works for us. We also make small items to sell at a craft show which gives us money for fabric and quilting tools. Over the years, the leader has picked up used sewing machines on Craigslist or at garage sales and we do have a locked closet with shelling at the church for all our supplies. I do feel badly for the two long armers but they don't seem to mind.

Schoolteacher, someone has to take the lead. It's like that always. I'd say pick an easy pattern and go with it. Good luck.