View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 06:07 AM
Kitty10628

Originally Posted by Madan49 View Post
Ummm.... except when it DOES! As a pattern designer, I can tell you that it really does matter if you find your perfect 1/4" seam, even on your own blocks. As an example... say you're making a very simple block from a pattern, and it calls for a 4 patch unit to be attached to another piece. If the 4 patch you've sewn doesn't have accurately sewn seams, it will not match up to the square you've cut out to attach it to. You can't blame the pattern designer for that, but it is frustrating for you as the one sewing it. Every single project you ever sew will go faster and smoother in the future if you find out first where that accurate seam is. And the more seams in the pattern, the more that matters. It's not the "quilt police" talking here... it's someone trying to help you avoid future frustration. LOL!
I agree with this. Scant seams make no sense to me. I used a scant 1/4 inch seam that the pattern called for and my pieces were too big when I tried to sew them to the other part of the block. I had to rip them apart and sew then again with a true 1/4 inch seam.