View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 AM
Basketman

Default Clear thread or...and black batting or?

I recently took my avatar to be quilted by someone I consider both artistic and accomplished and we discussed how it is to be quilted. Because it is a really busy and vibrant top ( Curling Colors by Jacqueline deJonge pattern with my batik choices) it was suggested that in the busiest sections that she would use clear thread and I agreed. However, I recently read where this type of thread is not a great choice when it comes to longevity and how it can easily break even during the initial quilting. Is this an accurate appraisal of this kind of thread and if so...what would be a better choice given all the intersecting colors and changing to matching colored threads would be an astronomical cost?

Also, should I suggest a black batting...I read where "bearding" can be a further problem with black fabrics? I have always asked for wool batting in the few quilts I have made and that batting has a funny net like covering, that I assume prevents some of the wool being pulled to the surface of a quilt? However, this was a seriously challenging piece to make, given my inexperience, and I want to make smart choices before she starts on this top.

Thanks for your help...this is always such a helpful place to find answers