View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Skylark53

Default Storing Vintage Fabrics

I've been buying lots of vintage fabrics lately, some dating to 1920's and perhaps even a bit earlier. Because I'm getting these from all different places, I'm always hesitant about what I might be bringing in along with the fabric (I'm thinking along the line of bed bugs). I haven't noticed any issues and don't really expect to; but it has me thinking about what exactly to do with these fabrics when I get them. I have been putting them in Ziplocs for a few days just to hopefully ensure anything that hitched a ride is dead, but I know the plastic is not good for the fabrics and that they need to breathe. I know there are plenty of archival storage items out there but those tend to be prohibitively expensive. As for my new fabrics, I have plastic pull-out drawer sets that they are in - but again I know the plastic isn't the greatest. I'm thinking of maybe using some archival tissue paper, either buffered or non-buffered depending on the fabric type, and lining the plastic drawers with them and wrapping the vintage fabric in them.

Most vintage fabrics I will be cleaning before more permanently storing, just waiting on the Retro Clean to arrive.

How do you all store your vintage fabrics?

Interesting link here:
http://www.vintagetextile.com/storag...20clothing.htm