Thread: Live Chat
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Bethy

I was talking about Walmart on one of the other sites just a little while ago and I started really thinking about how if we don't start supporting our own little shops, they are all going to be eaten up by the Walmarts. They (Walmart's etc.) all start out by offering the things that they find that the women of the house are starting to really spend alot of money on. They start offering almost the same stuff at bigger and better prices so that we all start buying at them and the locals can't do it. Then slowly but surely they start dropping the items until we can't find because they don't carry it anymore. We're sunk then because our quilting shops and sewing and fabric shops have gone out of business. Then we are angry. At who? Well, it should be at ourselves, but actually we've only been trying to get something enjoyable to do at low prices. Otherwise we might not be able to afford it. I started saving and buying all the little things I possibly can while saving for the big purchases from my two favorite quilt stores locally to me. I make an effort when I'm out of town to find a quilt store and purchase something there also. It may not be much, but I'm trying to support them. I want them to be here and besides the clerk from the other forum was right; Walmart's fabric is cheap because it's from China. What would you expect. Now that I've jumped off the nearest roof and vented the pipes, I'll get to something else, a baby memory quilt that is about to cause me to hyperventilate. I've been working so hard on this. I designed it and I have sewin it by hand putting the top together. I think I may be able to get the first border on and possibly the 2nd one on too, tomorrow. I'm doing this quilt all by hand because it is made from all those baby clothes that stretch and no matter what, it is just easier to sew it by hand. I think? I've done alot of embroidery by hand also---- on these little teddy bears I drew up for this quilt. It is a memory quilt sort of, made of bits and pieces of clothing this child wore the first 9 mos of his life. Most are expensive clothes and she wanted just some parts of the outfit displayed. I had no plan or colors or anything from her except she wanted this little horse from this one outfit in the center of the quilt. I've really struggled worrying about if she was going to like it or not, but I took it with me at Christmas to Texas so my family could look at it and Mom could tell me what she thought. My mother will tell you the truth no matter what, so I knew she'd be honest. She was totally wowed so now I'm ready to go and finish it. Wow, I've started a whole new deal here. Sorry, I'm so happy that I can talk to people again even if I don't really know anyone yet and it's done this way. Yeah!!!! Quilt today for tomorrow you can quilt some more. Bethy