View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Now on to the next part - the bobbin is too tight for the case. I can't pull any thread at all through the tension slot. Is this likely to be a problem with the bobbin case tension or is it because these Class 66 bobbins are the cheap Singer ones from JoAnns? I have some on order from Sew-Classic, I'm just impatient to get my machine up and running!
I'm betting it's the bobbins. I bought some metal class 66's from JoAnn's, Singer brand...they don't fit into my Rocketeer or either of my two 99Ks - I can't get a single one of them to fit into any of the bobbin cases, they're too large and/or not round. I wound one and I could see it "wobbling" so I took it off and compared it to the (one) vintage bobbin I have and the new ones are distinctively different. The new ones are not manufactured as well at all. I don't know what Singer is thinking but those bobbins don't work in any of my machines. I tossed them into my "junk metal" box - they'll work their way into some art project some day, LOL.

I just ordered some different new metal class 66 bobbins from Amazon, made by a company called Gold Star. The reviews seem to indicate these are good replacements for the vintage ones - I'll let you guys know if they work. If they do, I'm buying dozens before THOSE go bad too. (It's around $5 for 10 of them, not bad.)