Thread: Thread breaking
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Airwick156

Default Thread breaking

Hi. I have a Singer Sew Mate sewing machine. Its worked wonderful since my daughter had given it to me.
A couple of weeks ago, I went to a sewing group with the church my daughter and I go to. I was sewing away and a lady that was at a table behind me had a machine that was old and I apologized to the ladies for my machine being so loud. And the lady behind mes machine purred like a kitten.

The lady that does the sewing group at her house is also a quilt instructor. Her husband built a room onto their house that is HUGE Huge.

Anyhows this lady says "sounds like your machine needs oiling". I said "oh, Ive never oiled it didn't know to oil them. I told her I don't have any machine oil and she said here Ill oil it for you and so she did..She cleaned out all the lint and stuff and oiled it with a qtip.

After she oiled it, I ran some scrap fabric through the machine until the thread came out white again which took forever it seemed. LOL

I went to sew and the bobbin thread kept breaking. I would only be able to sew a couple of inches an the bobbin thread would break. She DID NOT adjust the screw on the actual bobbin case. She didnt adjust anything at all. Since I don't drive another lady picked me up and she had to go home at a certain time and the lady that oiled the machine was trying to figure out why the thread kept breaking and couldnt since we had to leave.

Today I decided I wanted to sew and so I pulled out my machine (this is the first time since I went to that sewing group) and I started sewing a straight line was able to sew 3 or 4 inches and the thread would break right at the bobbin where the thread goes through. I made sure that my upper tension was set directly on the number 5 as it has a black square around it and thats what its been on since Ive had it.

I have replaced the needle. I have rethreaded the machine countless times, I rewound a bobbin and tried that all without success.

But...I don't understand this...I changed my setting to do the blanket stitch and the thread never broke. Any suggestions? I am getting so aggravated and I don't have the money to take it in for service. Im so heartbroken over this.

Here is a picture of where it breaks at the bobbin..sorry the picture is blurry but if you look you will see the thread. I actually pulled the thread out a little bit so that you could see it. The second picture is of the bobbin housing.
Attached Thumbnails 20150227_172921.jpg   20150227_173012.jpg  

Last edited by Airwick156; 02-27-2015 at 05:41 PM.