Thread: fabric dregs
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM
deriz56

Now that I have become a quilter I agree, don't do me any favors, I have enough of my own scraps and fabric waiting to shine in a quilt project. However, before I started quilting I was at a Goodwill liquidation center (Goodwill's un-solded items sold by the pound) and for 3$ each picked up two boxes of 100 fat quarters. A quilt shop went out of business and donated some of their inventory. I just could not justify leaving them to be recycled and thought I would donate them to a quilting group.

Well, on my way home I stopped at Walmart and as I was walking by saw a lady putting her groceries in her trunk and notice a beautiful quilt and told her so. I than asked her if she knew of a quilting guild or anyone that would love some fat quarter fabric. She said she would love some as she and her friends make quilts for charity and it's getting harder to continue as they are now on a fixed incomes. I told her what I had and offered them to her and her friends to continue with their charity work. She wanted to pay me but I refused. When she insisted i told her I would take 5 of the fat quarters as payment. I loaded up the boxes in her trunk and she had to leave to pickup her great-grand son.

I have always believe things happen for a reason. Two days later i went to the same Walmart to purchase fabric to re-cover my lawn chair cushions and who was the worker that came to cut my fabric, my now quilt mentor Cathy. So, if you can't use the unwanted gift of fabric, smile and say thank you. Then re-gift - this is an acceptable reason for re-gifting and you may even gain a friend or two, Lol.