Thread: Hoarding
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 AM
zozee

Your stash might not sound like it's at the problem stage to us, but if you feel at all guilty, overwhelmed by, dragged down by, or not loving what you have, then I'd say it's time to pare down.

I think that by asking the question, you have concerns about yourself being tempted to hoard. But hoarding really
has a messy, disordered, useless and even unsafe component to it. Like up-to-your waist in fabric, fabric falling out of stuffed closets, fabric covering last month's pizza carryout box with mold growing, broken pins and cracked bobbins being saved, 14 coffee-cups-turned-science-experiments sitting around your sewing room with Snickers wrappers strewn about. That's the true picture of hoarding ( a mental disorder by definition).

I don't think it's helpful to compare our stash "problem" to our mate's or to anyone else's, for that matter. It's not a contest and it's not even healthy. We can justify ours by comparing it to our mate's, but it doesn't unburden us if we're feeling that OUR stuff--what we can control--weighs us down and keeps us from feeling joy.

I'm preaching to the choir here. I'm constantly evaluating "how much is too much"? I have a small stash "compared to" probably most of you (confined to two dressers and a few scrap bins) but I still have pieces I'll probably never use but still wrestle about parting with.

Try giving away or selling a tote bag's worth of fabric for starters. You won't miss it. I guarantee that.