View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

elizajo, I would recommend not using spray at all next time. I avoid all kinds of spray bottles because of the repetitive stress they put on the hands. Here is my method for starching.

I mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water in a bowl, then I use a large wall painting brush to "paint" the starch onto the yardage. I use my kitchen island for this, as the island is a good height. I allow a couple of minutes for the fabric fibers to absorb the starch, then toss the yardage in the dryer. Later I iron with steam (steam re-activates the dry starch in the fabric).

I can treat many yards of fabric in less than 30 minutes this way, including cleanup of my kitchen island. I have tried using all Sta-Flo and no water, but that is way too goopy for me; half water and half Sta-Flo give me the results I want. You can add more or less water to suit the result you are going for. The wall painting brush cost me a couple of dollars at Walmart, and it cleans up in about a minute under running water.

Sta-Flo is widely available in the laundry section of the grocery store. It comes in a blue quart-size plastic jug, often on the lowest shelf in the store (probably because it's not a high volume item).