Old 02-28-2015, 03:34 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Cindy,
I used some kind of 400 series in Home Ec for a semester - the next semester the school traded all their machines in on some Touch and Sews. I never could make one wind a bobbin let alone make it sew. I made my project at home on the FW. ggggrrrrr it wasn't until years later my son found a 401G in the trash that I found the 400 series again. My sister dared me to clean up the 401G so I did - I also fell in love/hate with it. Somebody - me - Egora cleaned it up then used 3 in 1 oil on it and it set up like concrete. It took me about a year to get the thing to work. I had no manual or any info how to use or repair that machine. At one point I took it to the OSMG for a cord. He showed me other slant-o-matic machines - his favorite was the 403, too. When a 403 came up on CL I bought it - I think I drove 3 hours each way, too. I fell in love with that one - a whole lot less junk inside the machine. Very simple to use and very easy to maintain - at some point I bought another one and gave it to my best friend. I bought a 503 for my DIL and she fell in love with it and sewed a lot with it. I have come to terms with the Touch and Sew after all these years. Sort of like Green Eggs and Ham - I do like the T & Ss - just not as much as my 403.