Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs
I agree with everyone that homemade gifts are the most wonderful to receive, no matter if no cost or much. It's the love and effort and from children, the sweetness that makes those gifts so special. I'm having a very hard time downsizing all those. I've managed to save them in beautiful condition, even my grownup daughters' childhood drawings.

Now, I'm going to switch around your question to what inexpensive gifts did I give this year. You see, knowing DH and I are going through bankruptcy/losing our home (loss of my income+high medical costs+DH's dropped income), my wonderful family thoughtfully gave gifts that don't need to be packed and to give us some fun; we got tickets to the movies, a concert, Netflix... all big. Last year I made each of them a small, framed quilted landscape but did not have time this year to handmake gifts. They all said they didn't need gifts, but Giving at Christmas is sooo fun I just had to. So, here's my great idea that everyone really loved! I took many of my own books to some used-book stores where you can trade for up to 75% of value. Believe me, I spent hours searching for the perfect choices and spent very little. Considering I didn't make them their presents, I found a way to happily surprise them.... very fun.
I hope this gives someone a non-quilting gift idea.
I wish I had thought to pose my question this way to begin with quwdogs!
That was so sweet of you to trade in your books to get gifts for family! hugs!
I wouldn't have thought of this, simply bc I'm not sure where to trade books, but I bet my DH does. He loves to read old westerns and a few others, if he finds them interesting.
I don't want to be nosy, but you mentioned high medical along with losing your job, have you become disabled? If so, I know exactly where your at. Been years for me, but in your case DH is out of work too.
Bless your heart for going to so much trouble to give gifts to your family! hugs! What a special thing to do. I love your story. I pray that things get better for you all.:-)