View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM
nstitches4u

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I do not belong to a quilting guild but I do belong to a fire company auxiliary. I have held every office except VP for a total longer-running period than any other member of the organization in it's history (over 100 yrs). I do not say this to pat myself on the back, just as background. I do not know if quilting guilds generally are much different from other charitable organizations so if there are guild-specifics of which I am unaware, I apologize.

I agree with Jan in that your organization should have some sort of by-laws where officers' absences are addressed. I also agree with the poster who suggested having a conversation with the offending officer prior to discussion at a meeting.

In our auxiliary we have had 'personnel issues' as well. We do have by-laws addressing the above (as well as other) situation specifically but I also believe it is addressed in Robert's Rules of Order - which is our defined default if an issue is not specified in our by-laws. What we have done with a similarly inclined person (non-officer) in our organization, was to have an Executive Board meeting to discuss the issue and potential resolutions. A formal letter was then sent to the offending party, outlining the behaviors that were found to be unacceptable, and a request for a face-to-face meeting with that person and the E-board. That meeting and it's result were never discussed during an open membership meeting.

Did that meeting resolve the issue? For a short period of time. That member is still a royal pain in the butt. It did, however, leave the opening for further actions on the auxiliary's part to deal with the problem.

Just my suggestion.
In order for a quilt guild to keep it's tax exempt status, Bylaws and Standing Rules are a requirement.