Old 03-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Jeanette Frantz

Glenn,

I may have posed this question to you once before -- my stupid mind just isn't functioning as it should be these days! LOL! The machines I have (there are 3 of them) are: (1) National Two Spool; (2) Minnesota Model A (very old); and a Singer 201-2. None of them have deep scratches or bare metal spots so they are in very good shape. The shellac, however, is beginning to crack and that is really going to make the machines look like very bad! We have already cleaned and worked on all the "crud" in the internal portion of each machine, cleaned the rust, old dried oil, lint, etc. I have purchased all of the materials, except the Evaporust, which i really do not need at this point. Amazingly, there was very little rust, but the presser foot bar and needle bar on the Minnesota were totally stuck, but I've lubricated, lubricated again and used gentle heat and my son was able to loosen these items. The presser foot bar was also frozen on the 201-2, but it is stuck no longer. The decals are not so delicate that they are flaking off, but I can foresee that, in time, this could happen unless they are protected. From everything I have read and studied on your tutorial (which is GREAT) this method would probably serve as the best protection for these wonderful old machines. Do you agree?

Jeanette