View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 PM
RosaSharon

I know what you mean! These directions for making a t-shirt quilt are very very different than any others. This was the second only quilt I ever made, and it was so easy even for a novice as me. There is no batting at all, it isn't needed. You use fleece for the back, but you have to read this pattern carefully to see how it is done one square at a time. It is so fast and easy, and looks great. Needs no starch, no foundation piece, just read it over and see what you think.

I say all of this because I posted it once before and I got flamed somewhat when someone said, "t-shirt quilts have been around for a long time, and everyone already knows this!"

Well, I knew that too, but honestly, I don't think you have seen one as easy as this.

http://tinyurl.com/lm6nhxt

Originally Posted by dsch View Post
I have made 5 memory quilts of shirts that belonged to my deceased cousin. There were so many t-shirts that I refused to throw away and lots of scraps, so I made LOTS of string blocks. I STILL had lots of t-shirt parts left over so I cut them into 6 1/2" squares. I appliqued hearts on some of the squares, but I have over 100 squares to deal with. Do I HAVE to put some kind of backing on the squares before sewing them together? Since they will be interspersed with the string blocks, won't that provide enough stability to make a lap quilt? I don't know if I can afford the backing for all the squares!

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last edited by RosaSharon; 03-03-2015 at 01:01 PM.