View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 AM
citruscountyquilter

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I use two rulers to square up my fabric but I find as I cut my strips, I get wonky again so have to trim the edge again. I also learned not to go by my cutting mat lines as its totally off. The 1st 12 inches are accurate but as the inches increase it becomes inaccurate so I keep a metal measuring tape nearby especially when I'm measuring for my borders. Just thought about this, if I measure the sides or middle of my quilt top for the border and measure the border with the same measurement tool (cutting table incremates) then it should be the same since I used the same tool........right???? Sounds logical.............and that's what bothers me...............lol!
When you are measuring for a border you can use your border material to measure. Cut strips the width that you want your border and just place it down the center of your quilt. That will be the length that you will need and cut off accordingly. You'll need two of these strips. Sew them on and then repeat the process for the other two borders. No measuring tape needed.