View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Hikeaddict

Funny story about losing things from your wallet- my husband and I had taken the ferry to Isle Royale for a weekend backpacking trip and had to pay our $5 camping fee so I was standing on the dock with my wallet and pulled out a $5 bill. Unfortunately my drivers license was snuggled in the fold of the bill so when I whipped it out my license went flying in a neat little arc and plopped right in Lake Superior. By the time I processed enough to think about grabbing for it, it had started to sink. So I just calmly watched my drivers license sink to the bottom of the harbor. I wasn't going to let it ruin the trip so I just told DH he always drives on trips anyway so I'll just get a new one when I get home, and apologized to the ranger who was standing next to me for littering in the lake. She said "eh, we'll see what we can do, check back in when you finish your trip". I had no idea what they could do- it was at the bottom of the lake after all. We proceeded on our long weekend backpacking loop and when we returned I popped into the ranger station and asked "you didn't happen to fish some dumb girl's license out of lake did you?"...yup they did. Apparently there is a ranger who will use ANY excuse to put his diving gear on. I need to send them a care package when I am sure they are open for the season again