View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 AM
katier825

I wanted to share my recent experience in how I dealt with a mistake I noticed after my top was complete.

I recently posted a picture of my first paper pieced project here
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-32966-1.htm.

I didn't notice until I was showing it off at work that I had made a mistake on one of the waves. My first thought was "oh, crap, what do I do now?" I thought about my various options to correct it. I could
1) tear it apart and re-do that section
2) applique the correct color over the incorrect one
3) applique something decorative over the mistake

Well, I was afraid if I tore it apart, I'd lose interest and put it aside. Not a good option as this was an overdue wedding gift. Plus, I had already started stitching in the ditch. If the quilt was for me, I might have opted for #2 and just appliqued the correct color. I decided to see what I could find to do a decorative applique.

I was lucky, my LQS just happened to have a fabric with dolphins the perfect size to fix my problem. So I cut out several dolphins and added them to the quilt. Using just one would probably be too obvious. So by using several, it looks more intentional. It was a little more difficult to machine stitch around the appliques, but I took my time and I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Moral of the story, if you make a mistake, don't panic! Sit back and think of your options, and choose one that works for you. :)

How it should look
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64903[/ATTACH]

My "oops" block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64904[/ATTACH]

End result
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64905[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-64898.jpe   attachment-64899.jpe   attachment-64900.jpe