View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 AM
Bobbielinks

A few weeks ago, one of my quilt customers asked me about cotton verses poly thread, as she had been told not to use poly thread for quilting. Of all the cones of thread that I keep in stock, I have only one 100% cotton cone. I pulled out that cotton cone and asked her to try to break a length off of it. She took the cone and easily snapped a length off it. I then handed her a cotton wrapped poly cone and she could not snap it off. I found out early on that 100% cotton used to machine quilt broke very easily; even more easily if stitched on the bias. For piecing (I only piece my quilts) I use whatever thread I have on hand, but for quilting I use Signatures cotton wrapped poly or poly wrapped poly and figure it will hold the piecing together for years to come. I do use mostly 100% cotton fabric for my quilts and after 14years they are still holding up nicely. My mother used to send her tops out to a longarmer about 25 years ago who used poly thread on her cotton tops and all her quilts are also in great shape.

Last edited by Bobbielinks; 03-08-2015 at 07:22 AM.