Old 03-08-2015, 09:37 AM
madamepurl

I was worried about that reliability thing as well now that they are owned by SVP, Inc. The last Pfaff I had said West Germany on it, it had been so long. However, I was so unhappy with the Janome and all the gals I sewed with sew on a Pfaff. I said - ok I'll just try the little Passport and see if I like it. Well it was like coming home. My sewing immediately felt better and my results were better. Of course if I would've started off with a Bernina, which back when I learned to sew was my other choice, I may be crooning over a Bernina like this. I just think in the end I'm a Pfaff girl. The funny thing is I picked the Pfaff because I was learning to make a plaid shirt and they said, well you'll never have trouble matching seems with the IDT. Well all these years later, I had no idea I would be quilting away and would need to also match seams on the dot.

I've had no issues on sewing through multiple seams or reliability with both my Pfaffs. One things is I like to do small quilts - so sometime the blocks are no larger than 3" unfinished. Well, the Janome would have a hard time piecing it or just shoot it out the side even with the O2 foot. The Accufeed foot would eat it as it was nearly as large as the fabric I was working on. I do love the auto pivot feature as well on my QE4.0. I have not tried the machine you have mentioned. I would suggest take some blocks and try it out. I like the Perfect ¼” Foot with guide for IDT™ System part #821063096, but the other 1/4" foot works great as well. This one lets you move it the needle slightly to the left if you need a perfect 1/4" foot.

I think the overall problem today is that they don't want us to get 10-15 years out of a machine. Well if you use it once a week maybe, but electronics degrade and businesses have "planned obsolescence." Basically if a machine lasts so long, then you're not buying a new one and they count on people buying new machines. Sure they'll give us 20 year warranties, but after 5 years, they'll quit making the parts. I think the iron folks have this planned obsolescence thing down to a science. I'm not saying machine people set stuff up to fail, but with hard use they just aren't going to last like a vintage machine.