View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Ellageo

Default 2015 Firemans Quilt

A local organization has a benefit auction every year with proceeds divided amoung 6 local Volunteer Fire Companys.I made a Firehouse block representing each one for this years quilt.

My good friend says "Every Quilt has a story" so here is this quilts story.

Block # 1- Donaldson Fire Co. This little town is named for William Donaldson. He believed that mines provided to yield coal in large quantities and believed this to be a proper place for a village.
- I chose the "Snowball' block. Snow is cold & wet like the mines. In black, this looks like chunks of coal, or perhaps the entrance to the many 'coal mines' in our area.

Block #2- Tremont Fire Co. Tremont "tres mont" or 3 mountains in French, for the 3 mountains that form it's boundary. Broad, Stony & Red. The Indians also found this a great area for hunting.
- I chose 'Delectable Mountains' for Tremont. Blue & gree4n were used for the blue skies & green mountains. There are 3 'mountains' on each side of the block which surrounds the 'town'

Block #3-Ravine Fire Co.-Cherryville is the old local name for Ravine. And Ravine is just that. A ravine between mountains with a stream running thru.
- This block is 'Wyoming Valley', which is itself a ravine. Part of the Applachians with the Susquehanna River running thru. I had to use cherry fabrics and a bit of green for the mountains!

Block #4-North End Fire Co.-Main travel between Tremont & Pine Grove was shortened by joining 2 roads. This area used to be called 'the annex', now known as North Pine Grove.
-'Crossroads' was the appropriate block for North End. I used the school colors and cardinal mascot.

Block #5Pine Grove Hose, Hook & Ladder Fire Co- an early description of a tall stand of pines by John Bartram, was probably where Pine Grove 's name was derived.
- This quilt block is 'Tall Pines'..what else! Difficult for me to create the firehouse here, but those tall pines were easy. Of course I used all colors of green, and the tree fabric even has pine cones on it.

Block #6 Suedberg Community Fire Co- Capt. H.C.Christesan, a Swedish ship captain, fell from the mast & shattered his leg. He retired to Pine Grove and eventually moved to Suedberg. There he built a hotel & store. He is buried in the local Lutheran cemetery. Suedberg is a town in Sweden
-The 'log cabin' block was used , because the Swedes were credited with bringing their idea of the log house to America. The colors used are blue & yellow, the Swedish flag colors.
Attached Thumbnails 2015-firemans-quilt.jpg