Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM
CAS49OR

That's really being cautious and probably a good idea, or that red would have runined the whole quilt. Do you have a bigger picture of your avatar?

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Ladies, I belong to the test colors (vibrant colors) to determine whether the fabric will bleed. I treat the fabric with Ritz Dye Fixative, depending on the size of the yardage, either on top of the range, or using hot water in the washer for larger yardages. For instance, with a reds and white quilt, I treat the lightest color first, then, the next lightest color on up to the most vibrant color, adding a tablespoon of the fixative for each color. For the one project that I have pending (fabric purchased and treated) I used 3 yards of fabric of each color -- yes, it's going to be a huge quilt. I filled my large stew pot with the amount of water (in the instructions with the product) and brought it to just below a simmer, put in dry fabric, and let it almost simmer for 20 minutes, dump it in sink or washer, rinse with cold water, wash and dry, repeating for every color (except the solid whites). I did a whole cloth, hand embroidered quilt with solid white and red borders. When I got the red cloth, a sliver of fabric put into a glass of hottest tap water revealed a reddish tinge which was picked up on a solid white paper towel--BINGO a bleeder. I knew I had to do something to prevent the bleeding (which is probable with most reds). I would STILL recommend that the quilt be washed with a couple of color catchers (just to be absolutely safe). The first LARGE bed quilt I ever did with the red borders is pictured in my avatar!

Jeanette